Eligibility and Responsibilities

Through the University of Toronto’s Work Study program, students have the opportunity to develop their knowledge, skills and experience through paid work on campus. On-campus employers also benefit from central funding, which offsets a significant portion of the salary expenses (70 per cent within the parameters of the program). Students do not have to be OSAP eligible to participate in the Work Study program, so a large pool of potential student hires are able to apply.


A Work Study employer must be a University of Toronto faculty or staff member who is on campus for the duration of the position. 
*PhD candidates and casual staff members are not permitted to hire Work Study

Please refer to the FAQ for more information.

Work Study employers must:

  • Provide appropriate training and supervision to hired students.
  • Ensure students understand their duties, hours of work and job performance expectations.
  • Ensure students do not work more than 15 hours per week, with a maximum of 200 total hours.
    • ***There may be pending changes based on new proposed minimum wage requirements released by the Government of Ontario on May 30, 2017***
  • Introduce the business/payroll officer and the alternate contact to the students.
  • Ensure students are paid promptly.

2018 Fall/Winter Work Study dates

Job Submission Period: June 5, 2017 – June 30, 2017 (NOW CLOSED)
Job Verification Period: July 6, 2017 – August 3, 2017 (NOW CLOSED)
Job Posting Approval Email sent to Faculty/Staff: August 7, 2017
Student Job Visibility: August 8, 2017 – September 22, 2017
Hiring Period: August 28, 2017 – September 29, 2017
Hiring Form Due: October 6, 2017

Program Periods:
September 7, 2017 – February 23, 2018 (St. George)
September 5, 2017 – February 23, 2018 (UTM & UTSC)
Note: Hiring forms will be accepted by Enrolment Services until October 6, 2017 (Late submissions will not be accepted)

Salary and payment information

  • The total cost of each Work Study position is the hourly wage equal to minimum wage plus four per cent vacation pay + 10 per cent benefits (which includes the employer share of WCB, CPP and EI benefits)
  • The employer will be expected to contribute 30 per cent of the total cost of each Work Study position. The remaining 70 per cent will be funded centrally. If the student works more than 200 hours (90 hours in the summer) during the program period, the wages associated with the additional hours of work will NOT be cost shared and employers will be required to fund the additional hours from their own account.

Student eligibility

  • Students must be registered in a 40% course load for the Fall/Winter

Notes:

  • Students are permitted to accept ONE Work Study position per program period.
  • Students registered in the Toronto School of Theology are NOT eligible for Work Study positions.
  • Non-degree students are NOT eligible for Work Study
  • Students do NOT have to be OSAP eligible to apply for Work Study positions.

The President's Scholars of Excellence Program (PSEP)

You may receive an application from a PSEP student. These are students who have a high entrance GPA, and only about 50 students receive this distinction annually, so you may choose to give them preference over other candidates For more information on the PSEP program, please visit: http://www.adm.utoronto.ca/awards/presidents-scholars-of-excellence-program/

Co-Curricular Record (CCR)

The University of Toronto’s Work Study program is designed to provide students with the opportunity to develop their knowledge, skills and experience through paid work on campus. The role you post for Work Study must be in line with CCR principles and will appear on the student’s Co-Curricular Record. For details about the CCR, please visit: https://ccr.utoronto.ca/about-ccr/q-a.htm

Work Study contacts

For questions about student eligibility and payment procedures, please contact workstudy@utoronto.ca

For more information or to participate, please contact the representative from your U of T campus.

St. George Campus Debbie Ananga 416-978-8018
Employer Recruitment & Engagement, Coordinator debbie.ananga@utoronto.ca 
Mississauga Campus Anne Gaiger 905-569-5759
Assistant Director, Employer Relations & Marketing anne.gaiger@utoronto.ca
Scarborough Campus Liz Annis 416-287-7551
Career Development Coordinator lizannis@utsc.utoronto.ca

 

 

 

 








© 2017 Orbis Communications Inc. - Orbis Career / Co-op Portal Professional v3
UTM
ST. GEORGE
UTSC